[78-L] 20" Pathe, yours for only 5 grand!

bruce78rpm at comcast.net bruce78rpm at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 10:24:08 PST 2012

What I was talking about was the American pathe 16" (Giant) Pathe records that first made their appearance toward the mid 1920's. Not to be confused with their European Counterparts. I have a sleeve from one of these records, and that is says "Play this record on the Pathe Concert Actuelle Only". As for the other information I gave you about these oddities, that is coming directly from the 2nd Edition of "Pathe Records and Phonographs in America, 1914-1922" by George Copeland & Ronald Dethlefson. The bottom of Page 33 states as follows "There was, however a last Vertical cut U.S. Pathe product. The Pathe Company pressed vertical-cut discs for the Music Service Co. Inc. in 1923 & 1924. These were 15 5/8" high-speed (130rpm?) records intended for dance halls and movie houses where extra volume was critical. Known examples, according to discographer Martin Bryan, duplicate regular 10" Pathe-Perfect Material. There are no clues as to the prices of the records or the machine used to play them (The Pathe Concert Actuelle), this could mean that these products were leased, but not sold outright.

Bruce