[78-L] Spontaneous recordings that were released

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:24:17 PST 2012

In preparing music for my radio show, I decided to feature credit payment
songs, and the like. I looked for coupon, credit costs and debt songs. All
because I wanted to play a Bill Monroe recording of the, "COUPON SONG." He
is not the singer, but there are few Monroe novelty recordings.

One song I selected was, "DOLLAR DOWN AND A DOLLAR A DAY WITH CHICKEN PIE,"
by the Arkansas Woodchopper (Luther Ossenbrink), on Cq 7887. Ossenbrink was
surprised by how quick (one minute and nine seconds), "Dollar Down and a
Dollar a Day," took, and glibly added, "Chicken Pie," to complete the
recording. His surprise is apparent. Only time I've heard such a thing on a
78.

Are there other examples of songs spontaneously included on a 78 rpm
release? It is the first I've noticed, and suspect most would have been
discarded, or remained unreleased.

"Dollar Down and a Dollar a Day with Chicken Pie," has been uploaded to
picosong.com and can be found at:

http://picosong.com/WHr

Dennis