[78-L] Now here's a late (non-US) Columbia

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 4 15:07:10 PST 2012

On 2/4/2012 5:16 PM, Kristjan Saag wrote:
> Except that it wasn't exactly reggae.
> The musical term "reggae" wasn't used before 1968. Dekker's "007" was a
> ska tune, or slowed-down ska: rock-steady.
> Undastan?
> Kristjan

Same problem with the term "klezmer" which was an invention of the
mid-1980s. We always used to refer to this type of Jewish music as
"freilich".  The problem is, that mainly means happy lively music, and
the new generation of musicians wanted a term that could include sad
music as well.  So the pulled this word out that nobody had ever heard
of, and it took a while for me to figure out what they were talking
about.  Now they use this term to describe the old records as well,
rewriting history.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com