[78-L] Ford (remove ^ - back on 78 content)

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Fri Feb 3 08:57:30 PST 2012

On 2/3/2012 9:55 AM, Rodger Holtin wrote:
> David,
> Do the Ford Engineering copies have the VE and the Victor number as I remembered?  I could be wrong - as well as old.
>
> Rodger

Nope. I dug one out, and it has a gold-on-black label with a double fine
line around the periphery and three horizontal lines across the middle.
The text is in a standard type face, says

"Early
American Dances

as revived by
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ford

[spindle hole]

Tune Name, as "Hungarian Varsovienne"

Number, as "103-A"

FORD ORCHESTRA

[below in small type on periphery]

"RECORDED AT FORD ENGINEERING LABORATORY DEARBORN, MICH."

A master and take number are stamped in the runout, fairly heavily,
matching the number on the label. I've had these for a while - it seems
to be a set based on the material in "Good Morning," the book of dances.
I've always assumed 1920's based on the record itself, but have never
seen any details about when or how these were recorded. We know that the
Ford Orchestra traveled to New York to record for Victor in 1926, did
sides for Edison during the same period. It sounds like the original
orchestra, with sousaphone, cimbalom etc.

And I'm wondering if all this means anything to anyone - did Ford have a
recording studio, do you suppose?

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine