[78-L] Dick Oxenrider, goodbye my friend.

Tim McCormick Dad at TheMcCormicks.com
Fri Jan 27 19:23:29 PST 2012

Dick Oxenrider, goodbye my friend.

I received a phone call from Paul Ladd informing me of Dick's passing.  Dick
has been the Treasurer of the Hoosier Antique Phonograph Society for as long
as I have been a member.  In the rough and tumble world of finance, he made
sure those $5.00 dues payments were made on time.  He made most every
meeting until his health started failing him.  There were two things I could
always count on him doing in a meeting: First he would delight in telling
jokes - the more suggestive, the better.  Second, he would concoct an
elaborate financial scheme as to how he would one day acquire a Victor VI.

Dick was very knowledgeable on the topic of antique phonographs and freely
offered me assistance and information.  He was fond of Billy Murray and
recommended that I started collecting his recordings, which I did.  During a
HAPS meeting, he was the first to offer an opinion on just about any topic,
and never shied away from an argument.  I am forever grateful to have known
this great man and to have numbered him among my friends.  I am convinced
there is a Victor VI playing Billy Murray in heaven at this very moment with
Dick smoking his pipe while waiting for someone to start a robust but good
natured argument.

The funeral home web site offered the following obituary:

Carl Richard Oxenrider, 75 of Pierceton, Indiana, passed away on Wednesday,
January 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm in his residence.

On January 23, 1937, he was born to Carl and Ethel Pauline (Stauffer)
Oxenrider in Albion, Michigan. He was a lifetime resident of Kosciusko
County. He graduated from Albion College, Albion, Michigan with a Bachelors
of Art Degree and he received his Masters Degree at St. Francis College,
Fort Wayne.

Richard was a History teacher for Lakeview Middle School of Warsaw Community
Schools , retiring in 1992. He then was owner of Gas Light Antiques,
Pierceton. He was a member of RCA Victor Victrola Club, Pierceton Antique
Dealers and Pierceton Chamber of Commerce.

He is survived by his cousins; Elizabeth Binkley, Columbia City, Sue (and
spouse Mike) Collier, Columbia City, Sylvia (and spouse Alan) Kauffman, St.
Louis, Missouri, Sarah (and spouse Dennis) Myers, Wakarusa, Carol (and
spouse Bill) Koos, Warsaw and Gary (and spouse Linda) Oxenrider, Zionsville.

Funeral services will be held on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at
McHatton-Sadler Funeral Chapel, Pierceton at 1:00 pm with Pastor Steve
Mullin officiating. Private interment will be in Maple Grove Cemetery,
Edgerton, Ohio.

Visitation hours will be from 11:00 - 1:00 pm, Saturday, January 28, 2011 at
McHatton-Sadler Funeral Chapel, Pierceton.

Tim McCormick, President
Michigan Antique Phonograph Society
President at MAPS-ITG.org
www.MAPS-ITG.org    www.IAPS-ITG.org