[78-L] Frequently Asked (or otherwise clueless) Questions

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 10:11:03 PST 2012

The very presence of your question is music to the ears of many an old shellac addict.  Your mom nad dad probably told you there's no such thing as a stupid question when you're trying to learn something, so you did the right thing.

This list has an archive, so you can pick a topic of interest and give that a search and see wht pops up.  I've been amazed lately at the numbers of things I've found just by searching with Google on some seemingly obscure 78-related subject.  I've seen a lot of mis-information, too, but when you find something that's of interest, you can ask here what the real story is and we wil have a field day skewering the poor dope who posted some bad information on the internet, and you can learn by watching what happens.

You should buy the Victor Label Book by Sherman & Nauck.  It will tell you about the Monarchs.  I would guess the dimple at the end of the side is damage - "needle drop" as they are known are most common at the end of a selection than anywhere else on a disc.  Play a few discs on a gramophone and you'll find out why that's true.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.