[78-L] Jack Sheedy

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 08:41:02 PST 2012

 From Lord 10.0:
Jack Sheedy's Dixieland Jazz Band:
Jack Minger (cnt) Jack Sheedy (cnt,vcl) Vince Cattolica (cl) Paul
Desmond (as-1, cl-2) Bill Erickson (p) Norman Bates (b) Cuz Cousineau (d)
San Francisco, CA, January, 1950
     Royal garden blues    Coronet J105
     A good man is hard to find           -
     Blues in the night            J106
     Muskrat ramble           -
     The man I love (1)    Philology (It)W72-2 [CD]
     Down in honky tonk town (1)             -
Note: Philology (It)W72-2 [CD] titled "Paul Desmond - Sweet Paul, Vol.
1"; rest of CD by Dave Brubeck. "Down in honky tonk town" should be
marked (2).

I have the Philology issue with the last two titles, which claims they
are Desmond's first recorded solos, though not necessarily his first
recordings.

"The Man I Love" is played as a slow mood piece (with Cousineau on vibes
according to Philology)--a bit like Red Norvo's version for Keynote.
"Down in honky tonk town" is played as expected in New Orleans style. I
don't recall another example of a band playing in such contrasting
styles at the same session.

Phllology also claim it's Norman Bates on piano and brother Bob on bass.

Coronet was Sheedy's label, but were the last two titles recorded for
the label? "Down in honky tonk town" is faded down at the end--perhaps
the reason for non-issue or was it because the disc used for transfer
was damaged towards the end?

I also have Coronet 1105, but there's no Desmond there.

Does Desmond solo on this session:

Jack Sheedy
Jack Minger (cnt) Jack Sheedy (tb,vcl) Paul Desmond (cl) Norman Bates
(p) Bob Bates (b) Cuz Cousineau (d)
c. 1951
     How long, baby, how long (pt 1)    Coronet J109
     How long, baby, how long (pt 2)           -

      Julian Vein