No subject

Wed Jan 18 12:54:40 PST 2012

.chestnut, but by Toscanini...probable seller."  Maybe they should have che=
cked with you first.  PC
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com [78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.=
com] on behalf of David Lennick [dlennick at sympatico.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:31 PM
To: 78-L Mail List
Subject: Re: [78-L] Toscanini

I still question why Toscanini would even record the thing. Victor could ch=
arge
more for him than they could for Fiedler, but not after 1940. It's one of t=
hose
pieces that I don't care if I ever hear by anyone, vintage or
contemporary..like the Nutcracker Suite. Did his grandkids like it? Did he =
lose
a bet?

dl

On 3/13/2012 4:24 PM, Philip Carli wrote:
> There are several references to Toscanini at least partially reorchestrat=
ing LES PATINEURS I remember encountering, though I can't cite exactly wher=
e at the moment. As for simply adjusting it for a larger orchestra, the ori=
ginal orchestration is big to begin with, and, with an obvious unique excep=
tion, standard in Waldteufel dances: strings, double woodwind + piccolo, 4 =
horns, 2 cornets, 3 trombones, ophicleide or euphonium, tympani, side/bass =
drums, cymbals, triangle, and of course sleigh bells. (That's the Henry Lit=
olff's Verlag set, which also assigned the piece its fictitious "op.183". W=
hen Litolff acquired Waldteufel publication rights, it started assigning it=
s own opus nos. starting at op.100 and going up from there, with several bi=
g gaps.)

> Adding to this is that there is a little debate whether Waldteufel used a=
n orchestrator to begin with, as he was a pianist and evidently composed at=
 the piano initially.  I think not, myself, but that's me and my studies on=
ly.  I don't know of any Waldteufel holograph full scores.

> Finally, a bit of trivia: did you know Waldteufel was the earliest-born (=
1837) conductor to record?  A very few sides for French Gramophone that did=
n't last long in the catalogues. I've never heard them, but they're among m=
y top things to track down.

e.com] on behalf of Don Cox [doncox at enterprise.net]