[78-L] hoping for advice on selling a collection of Paul Robeson 78s

Rod Brown raudiobrown at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 01:42:31 PST 2012

Hello all,

I guess my first question is, should I be sending this email to the 78-C
list, and not to 78-L? I hope this isn't too far from general interest. In
any case, in the next few weeks, I'll start ebaying lots of 78s for a
client. One fairly substantial chunk of that work will be their collection
of Paul Robeson records.

There are four Columbia Masterworks sets, two more sets on RCA Victor and
Keynote, 4 Victor singles, 3 RCA Victor singles, 12 HMVs, and one Okeh
(6475 King Joe [Joe Lewis Blues] Parts I and II) done with the Count Basie
Orchestra. With very few exceptions these are in E or E- condition.

I find myself wondering whether it would be smart or dumb to try selling
all these as one lot. Any clues for me on whether that might work? Probably
I should "get real" and just do the work of auctioning each set or single
off, one at a time, but I thought I'd check with more experienced
collectors/dealers.

I'd be interested in any other advice you might have, about promoting the
auctions, or any other angle I might not have considered. Please feel free
to email me off-list if you'd rather.

Best wishes to all,
Rod