[78-L] Identification on Test Pressings

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Jan 14 09:38:18 PST 2012

The first one looks like it might be "Oh So Sweet" judging by the
cryptic "Oh" penciled in on the label. Rust shows it as not having been
released  but the number A3091 fits in the A Columbia series for 1920.
Could be that A3091 was but a possible release number? See mx
78813-1-2-3, p. 295 in Rust's Columbia Master Book, Vol.2.

The other one is much harder to decipher but, if you turn the label
upside down it looks like the word in the Selection spot is "damaged".
The Artist looks like possibly  "David" or maybe "Pruett", ya got me.

Okay, this is really reaching for it but on Jan 14, 1920 - right around
the time the date stamp is on the other side of the test - Rosa &
Carmella Ponselle recorded an unissued vocal duet "Carolina Sunshine."
See mx 78927-1-2, p. 300, in Rust's Columbia Master Book, Vol.2. It's a
stretch but fits within the time frame the test was pulled (maybe) even
though the number on the label is not. And it's the only female vocal
duet nearby. Can you figure out what the title might be by having a listen?
Malcolm in Hawaii

*******