[78-L] How to dispose of large collections

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Jan 9 01:03:52 PST 2012

This is a real problem!  I, like dl and, I'm sure, several other posters have a collection approaching 100,000 discs.  I've discussed with my daughter what should be done with them after I'm dust but there is such a range of material that it's not likely they could all go to one destination.  There is a huge classical collection which has to look towards a relatively small number of collectors.  Some classical items would score big on ebay, but most would probably garner no interest whatsoever.  There's lots of pop, country, folk etc. etc.  There are hundreds of 45s, thousands of LPs and tens of thousands of 78s.  I think the best idea might be to announce my passing on this list and see if any interest or ideas come from the members.  I'm sure it will be divided so that the valuable items can be sold and the stuff of little interest will go to landfills but there has to be someone to administer this who is record savvy but who won't take
 advantage of the situation.

From what I've been told, it's very likely that when the time comes, I won't really be too concerned at all anyway.

db