[78-L] How do we advise people on how to dispose of accumulations like this? + Our St Louis dealer is back

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 13:01:07 PST 2012

I emailed Kurt Nauck & told him that I was thinking about putting him in my will for all the 78's I've got. The reply I got back is that he is very selective in what he accepts from collections now so I guess that Fort Nauck is way too overloaded with 78's (my guess) so I never put him in my will. To be perfectly honest I don't know any younger collectors (or record dealers) in the Houston area as they are all in their 40's to 60's at least the ones I know personally so I guess that my accumulation of 16, 33, 45 & 78 rpm discs will go to the nearest landfill when I die of old age one of these days sometime in the next 30 to 40 years or so. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying it until that day comes. By the way no need to tell me happy birthday but I turned 53 about a week ago on January 2nd so I'm getting older too.

One of my longtime record collector friends is in the last stages of cancer & he told his wife to give me all of his records after his funeral. Well thats fine & means that my accumulation will get about a third bigger than it already is with mainly 45's along with some LP's & 78's which is what he collected & it's not the only collection I've aquired after someone passed away. Perhaps some of you have inheirited collections from others too & I wouldn't be surprised if you have.

We've had discussions before on what to do wiith our collections/accumulations of records. Is there a good answer? Who knows? I sure don't. And then there are people who think they can sell their collections for a mint on Ebay. Yeah right!! Maybe one in a blue moon but other than that I doubt the rest would be sold that way.