[78-L] Cinnamon Bear ETs, WAS: William Frawley records and the Cinnamon Bear

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 30 22:36:30 PST 2011

Cinnamon Bear update:

Upon further inspection some of my discs are black vinyl, some are solid red
vinyl, and some are translucent red vinyl.  All have Bruce Ellis Program
Library Service labels, except one disc that has a Bruce Ellis label on one
side, and the custom-designed Cinnamon Bear label on the other.  An example
can be seen online here:
http://www.radioarchives.com/The_Complete_Cinnamon_Bear_p/ra031.htm

Except there's one small difference!  Where David's disc (as represented on
the Radio Archives site) says Radio Transcription Co. of America, Ltd., this
lone disc has:

LOU R. WINSTON
1651 Cosmo Street
Hollywood, 28, Calif.

Who was Lour R. Winston?  Possibly the heir to TRANSCO?  This label has a
handwritten date of 12/17/46, where the Bruce Ellis labels usually have
multiple dates from the '50s stamped on.

One more note about dates:  One disc has a date from 1960 stamped on it!
Has it ever been determined when the Cinnamon Bear ceased to be syndicated
to local markets on 16" ET?  It seems likely that if the program continued
to be syndicated into the '60s and '70s tape dubs or 12" microgroove
pressings would have been used.

David, does that Cinnamon Bear promo disc run at 78 rpm?

Sammy Jones

dl wrote:
The Cinnamon Bear was still being syndicated in the 50s..check the FGRA
website
for label scans of all the versions I had (that was my transfer they
issued).
I've seen it on red vinyl, black vinyl, and laminated shellac. By the way, I
still have one copy of the promo disc.

Bill Frawley..great album! 1957, mono only.
http://www.bsnpubs.com/dot/dotb.html
Google Bill and you'll find some interesting stories, including one that has
him introducing "Melancholy Baby" to drunken requests..evidently "Sing
Melancholy Baby" has historical truth to it.

dl