[78-L] William Frawley records and the Cinnamon Bear

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 30 13:39:36 PST 2011

Hello, all,

I've just returned from my local Atlanta used record store (Wax 'n' Facts on
Moreland AVE).  No 78s there, but a large selection of LPs.  I came away
with the following treasure:

Bill Frawley Sings the Old Ones, with the Jack Halloran Singers, and
orchestra directed by Perry Botkin, Dot DLP 3061

It's a collection with songs from his vaudeville days like "Moonlight Bay"
and "Shine On, Harvest Moon."  Definitely recorded after "I Love Lucy" began
in 1951, as it references Frawley being "made famous all over again as Fred
Mertz."  Any recording details available?

And more to the point, did William Frawley ever make any 78s or cylinders?
He was born in the 1880s.

On a Christmas-related note, I just got a complete set of the Cinnamon Bear
on ET.  The discs have Bruce Ellis labels; not Transco...but I guess they
could be pasteovers.  Anybody know if the Cinnamon Bear was ever repressed
in the '50s?

Sammy Jones