[78-L] Duck, Chico! (was: Lennick's holiday torture)

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Dec 26 11:53:16 PST 2011

I've always been a little shy about saying I like the MGM Marx movies better
than Duck Soup,  about which the critics all rave.  I agree with Mr. B about
"Opera" and "Races."

As far as Wheeler and Woolsey,  I can't seem to click with 'em.
Although...in "Hips,  Hips.  Hooray!"  right at the beginning you get Ruth
Etting singing "Keep Romance Alive."  Great tune and performance.  When I
first saw the movie,  I kept waiting for Ruth to come back but,  like Little
Sheba,  she never did...

Not sure how the thread started,  but the Shirley Temple movies are loaded
with fine  music,  not always sung by Shirley either...great scores by
Gordon & Revel,  Bullock & Spina,  etc.