[78-L] The new Sherlock Holmes film has an Improved Gramophone...

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 25 20:52:46 PST 2011

My family and I went to see the new Sherlock Holmes film today. It had
quite a few ...um, shall we say, endearing anachronisms. However, the
one that got my full attention was a Berliner Improved Gramophone.

Either it's authentic or a damn good replica. Correct wide flat
traveling arm, correct leather coupling between the sound box and the
brass horn, and even the correct Clark-Johnson sound box.  In fact, the
only thing wrong with this Berliner Improved Gramophone was that it
somehow made its way to London in 1891, which is where and when the film
is set.  :) (Johnson would not deliver his machine to Berliner until
1896, and England really didn't get them until, I believe, 1898.)

MS