[78-L] Styrofoam "peanuts"

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Thu Dec 15 14:15:42 PST 2011

For years I have been bagging the "peanuts" and donating them
to a local shipping store, where they are welcomed.

But, I so hate the usual "peanuts" that I am now refusing to accept
any package which includes them.  Is there any more insidious,
diabolical invention in the history of mankind?  I never heard
there was a bio-degradable version.  But what in the world is
wrong with crumpled newspaper?

It's such a telling development: we create trash in order to
dispose of trash; think of all the plastic bags we Americans
buy to put our garbage in.  (I finally gave up home delivery of
the NY Times because they delivered it every day, rain or shine,
in a non-recyclable, blue plastic bag.  When I requested they
deliver the paper without any bag, the delivery guy would
take off the bag and throw it on the sidewalk in front of
my house!)

Doug Pomeroy

> [...]
> everywhere on there own when I open the box/bag.
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM, David Lennick
> <dlennick at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Charming! Sorry he took umbrage at your sally. I hate when my sally
>> gets
>> umbraged. As for me, after years of cursing dealers who use
>> styrofoam peanuts,
>> I've had to go over to that side because they're cheap and weigh
>> nothing, and
>> if the records are sealed (or in another smaller box) they're safe
>> from
>> intrusion. A bag about the size of two pillows costs $5 at my
>> nearby U-Haul.
>>
>> dl (just about to recycle a box you sent Roger M. and which Don C.
>> had sent to you)
>>
>> (Jeez..SpelCheq took umbrage at my spelling of "styrofoam" because
>> I didn't
>> capitalize it. Ma fungu!)
>>
>> On 12/15/2011 12:33 PM, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
>>> I just went through one of the strangest experiences I've had in my
>>> years of surfing and buying from eBay.
>>> I bid on and won a record on the Zen label out of New York. Could
>>> have
>>> cared less about the material, but I got a kick out of the label
>>> head.
>>> $13.00 total.
>>> I sent my regular instructions for packing:
>>>
>>> It's a long way to Hawaii so here's how to pack: use 4 10" sq.
>>> pieces of
>>> box cardboard - put record(s) between - tape edges - put 7 or 8 pcs
>>> crushed newspaper in a 12x12x4 or larger box - put record sandwich
>>> in -
>>> put 7 or 8 more pcs crushed newspaper in to fill - shake - if
>>> contents
>>> shift there's not enough paper - if box bulges there's too much -
>>> readjust and seal - Thanks -- TMR
>>>
>>> I then got an outraged note back telling me how he was going to
>>> pack it
>>> and if I didn't like it that was just too bad, so there.
>>> I replied that his method was really very nice but mine had a
>>> breakage
>>> rate of around 2% over 30 years and would he please, etc., etc.
>>> He sent me back this:
>>>
>>> Do you expect me to go out for an hour and look for a 4-inch box
>>> to buy,
>>> then buy a few newspapers--I don't read newspapers so I don't have
>>> any
>>> (I read news on the web)--and cut my 12" fillers 2" to meet YOUR
>>> needs--FOR A $13 RECORD???????????? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a $50
>>> record, yes. NOT for a cheap $13 record. I'll send the
>>> cancellation form
>>> out right away.
>>>
>>> I them told him he should just put it in a manila envelope and
>>> send that.
>>>
>>> He took umbrage at my sally and then refunded my payment and
>>> canceled my
>>> order, even though I refused it (which I didn't know one could do
>>> eBay). At this point I wanted the record as a point of honor, if
>>> for no
>>> other reason. Because of that I can no longer send him feedback
>>> praising
>>> him for his packing method and his even-tempered way of dealing
>>> with a
>>> new customer.
>>>
>>> I guess I gotta be Zen about it! That's okay with me.
>>> I'd still like to have a "Zen" record, though.
>>> Mal
>>> 78-L mailing list
>>> 78-L at klickitat.78online.com
>>> http://klickitat.78online.com/mailman/listinfo/78-l