[78-L] Early studio singers - question

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Dec 10 09:51:50 PST 2011

On 12/10/2011 11:38, Julian Vein wrote:
> On 10/12/11 17:32, Mike Daley wrote:
>> Did studio singers like Arthur Collins, Billy Murray and Ada Jones read from the sheet music or did they learn the songs that they recorded by rote?
>>
>> For that matter, does anyone have any insight into whether later popular singers like Sinatra read music notation?
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance.
>>
>> Mike Daley
>>

> ===================================
> ...or whether they had singing lessons?

Ha!

But we do know that they used sheet music and had to follow the score to
be able to know their lead-ins and solos, etc. They could be
complicated, especially in the case of duets and when using chorus and
backup singers. Plus, in studio, it was obviously a time saver to have
the words in front of them while recording to avoid bloopers and
forgotten lines.

In the early days, many of these singers jumped from session to session
during the day, as did the musians. That was how they made their money.
Back then it was not a lucrative.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.