[78-L] fake stereo

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Sat Dec 10 08:06:22 PST 2011

On 10/12/2011, Christopher Steward wrote:

> This is not quite on topic, but I'm sure there are plenty of people
> who can give some information/advice.
>   I'm interested in restoring an 'electronic stereo' disc to decent
> mono sound; clearly I need to reverse whatever original processing was
> applied, if possible, but I don't know what that would have been. Were
> there different approaches? Can anyone advise how I can go about
> investigating this?

I don't think there is any fixed method. The general approach in the
early versions was to simply adjust the tone controls differently for
left and right, so that one side had more treble and the other more
bass. This can be quite effective for small jazz groups.

Additionally, various forms of echo or reverb could be added.

Nowadays, the usual approach is to try to extract the ambience only, and
stereo-ize that, to give a mildly more spacious sound.

I think all you can do is simply mix to mono and hope for the best. You
will never exactly restore the original sound.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net