[78-L] posting 78rpm records on YouTube - help!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 5 10:17:13 PST 2011

It gets more interesting.  Check out http://www.ompplc.com/ and
http://www.ompplc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=6
One Media Publishing is a British based intellectual property licensing
organization that seems intent on buying up the world.  The Dave Case
Collection is a new series of 1000 albums "compiled" by this 1970s
pirate station DJ.
http://www.ompplc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:the-dave-cash-collection&catid=6:new-catalogue

I would suppose that things that were still in copyright have been
licensed, but that they probably  avoided doing that for the pre-1960
recordings -- but those would still not be PD here in the U.S. It could
be the Naxos case all over again.  But in the meantime they are going to
claim that THEY own everything, or at least Orchard is going to do the
claiming in the U.S. just because they import the CDs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com