[78-L] politically incorrect record art

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 30 09:16:03 PST 2011

From: Tom <nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com>
> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=beatles+butcher&_sacat=0&_odkw=beatles+butcher+album&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

> Seems like a fair number are out there for something
> that never hit the store shelves.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????????????

NONE of the 161 items in this listing is an original "first state"
cover.  Not one of them.  ALL of them are either "second state" which
has the trunk cover pasted over the butcher cover, are "third state"
where someone has peeled the trunk cover off, are counterfeit/reissues
(such as the ones with blue or orange vinyl), or are counterfeit
posters, t-shirts, or other such stuff.

NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THE ORIGINAL ALBUMS SHOWN ARE ORIGINALS THAT DID NOT
HAVE A TRUNK COVER GLUED OVER IT.

Tom, please figure out what you are talking about before posting.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com>

As for the butcher cover, unlike what Tom seems to say, it never hit the
stores.  It had only gone to reviewers who supposedly objected.  Capitol
IMMEDIATELY went to all of the distributors and pulled the copies which
had just been shipped to distributors but were not yet to be sent to the
stores.  I started working for a rack-jobber distributor two weeks after
this happened so I got the story from the inside -- along with an
original poster.  It was one of the two that my boss had been able to
hide from the Capitol salesman.