[78-L] Commodore Records Question

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Nov 28 14:19:22 PST 2011

I talk a little bit about the Commodore shop in Chapter 1 of my Jazz Man book. The original Commodore store that Julius Gabler opened up in the early '20s was at 144 E. 42nd St., across the street from Grand Central Station next to the old Commodore Hotel (named for "Commodore" Cornelius Vanderbilt, hence the name). In 1938, Gabler's son Milt opened his own branch of the shop which became the famous record store at 46 W. 52nd St. I don't know anything about the first address at 136 E. 42nd St. unless it was an expanded address for the first shop, which basically sold radios, speaker supplies, and other electronic equipment.

Cary Ginell