[78-L] Convert a belt drive turntable to play 78's

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 09:12:10 PST 2011

     I know some of us on SSI must make do with what we
obtain from garage sale equipment. But some times it is
better to think out side the box, and spend a few dollars.
There is a way to record A 78 at 45 and speed it up in
software. I don’t know if Audio City will do that, but
someone on this list could explain. A better option is
to find a good DJ turntable That does 78s in addition
to 33s and 45s. Most newer DJ turntables are Direct
Drive, which means no belt to worry about. One must
be careful with used DJ Turntables due to many have
been kidded or used at drunken parties. The tone
arms get bent. I picked up a Numark TT1 X that works
quite well. It has a pitch control that allows for speeds
from 70 to 80 RPM. It has cartridge output as well as
line out. I would not opt for USB models due to the
cheep codacs in them. I want to use the volume
control on the preamp or mixer to adjust the recording
level.