[78-L] Convert a belt drive turntable to play 78's

Don Chichester dnjchi78 at live.com
Thu Nov 24 20:05:18 PST 2011

Yes, I have.  Some belt TTs have no room at the speed change lever for a larger capstan, but some do.

I took a length of reel tape, and glued it to the 45 rpm capstan pully (making sure the winding was oriented so as not to unwind when capstan was turning). I gradually spooled off what I thought to be enough tape to make the capstan drive the TT at over 78 rpm.  Then I glued the end down tight.  Checking the speed with a strobe disc, I saw I was off by a few rpm.  So I began to cut off recording tape until I reached 76 rpm (yes, 76, my choice).  Eventually I reached the length that gave me 76 rpm.  Once glued, the TT works great.  That was about 15 years ago.  Still works great!

Don Chichester