[78-L] i-phone horn amplifier

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 20 07:59:10 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 13:24 -0700, Michael Biel wrote:
+AD4 From: Mike Daley +ADw-mikedaley+AEA-gmail.com+AD4
+AD4 +AD4 Then there's Michael Cumella's (he of the Antique Phonograph Program on
+AD4 +AD4 WFMU) iPhonograph:   http://www.michaelcumella.com/ip/
+AD4
+AD4 In the early 20s there were a number of devices which enabled radio
+AD4 users to attach their headphones to their phonograph tone arm.  They
+AD4 didn't supply the horn -- you used the one already on your phonograph.
+AD4 This one is similar, and instead of using the small Gem-size horn he
+AD4 supplies, you could put the nipple of the plastic device onto your
+AD4 phonograph arm after removing the reproducer.

The Gem-size horn seems inefficient, at casual glance. Its size seems to
be about the scale of those miniature talking machines that were
designed to fold up and be carried about.  And the taper resembles a
recording horn - which had no flare - rather than a reproducing horn.

The Baumbach instrument looks better to me+ADs my only hope is that the
plastic is stiff enough not to cause spurious resonances. I'd love to
see one of those for my HTC Desire Android device, which has a tiny
speaker the size of a dog's toenail located on the back near the top.

MS