[78-L] What Happens to Old-Timers? A 1935 article

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Fri Nov 18 18:24:08 PST 2011

On 11/18/2011 7:57, Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Great article,  Harold...thanks for posting it.
>
> In my book collection I have a copy of the anniversary album for the
> Valencia Ballroom in York,  PA.  Published in 1939,  it lists all the bands
> who had ever played the place and when.  Interesting to see such "old time"
> names as Dan Gregory,  Ace Brigode,  Emerson Gill,  Tommy Christian,  Ted
> Brownagle,  Al Katz,  Husk O'Hare etc. doing one-nighters well into the 30s
> and long after they had pretty well stopped making any records.
>
> BTW,  if you were at the Valencia on October 17,  1931,  you could have
> enjoyed an evening with music by the orchestras of Blanche Calloway,  Benny
> Moten,  Chick Webb,  Johnson's Happy Pals,  and Zack Whyte!

Do you see Lou Breese mentioned? He was all over the place in the 30's
when he wasn't holed up at the theaters, particularly in the early 30's
when his daughter Gloria was very small. I am convinced that the primary
reason he stopped touring was because of her. He was very much a
homebody and cherished his only child.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.