[78-L] More on the phantom bidder ^

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Wed Nov 16 15:07:07 PST 2011

.
The sellers shouldn't have left any feedback. Because it counts as positive and thus
the bidder cannot be blocked!
Instead, they should have done this (like I do):
- retrieve the fake buyer's contact information, especially phone number
- call the phone number (it's always a dead line)
- report the buyer for false contact info TO GET HIM REMOVED QUICKLY!

One or two such reports get him kicked off eBay in no time!

The (positive) feedback given to this fake bidder helps him get around the bidders'
block! The strictest you can block on eBay is "buyers with a feedback of 1 or less
that had 2 or more unpaid item cases in the last 31 days".
With the feedback given, he bypasses the block!

BTW, nothing indicates that the phantom bidder is in London. He can be anywhere
on earth. All we know is that he registered his account with a London address.

The matter, however, is worse!
When I auction Calypso 78s, I also block bidders who have no PayPal account.
This phantom bidder was able to sneek through this block, because he obviously
has his new fake account linked to his PayPal acount! Consequently, PayPal
has his credit card and/or bank account info - and they know HIS IDENTITY!

eBay Trust & Safety told me on the phone that they cannot get this information from
PayPal, because it's another company!!!  Theoretically, eBay could block any and
all accounts ever linked to this PayPal account in future, couldn't they?  But they don't...

Benno