[78-L] grading 78s with lamination cracks

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 10:17:24 PST 2011

Yes, I agree - separating the condition from the defect is the best and most honest  way.

For example, I wouldn't be impressed if I bought a 78 from Ebay or from a set sale list graded as V+ that was actually E+ with a crack.

Easiest all round to say ...'E+ with 2" hc, nap' ...or similar.

I tend to stay away from records with cracks or bad digs where possible as I try to get 'keepers' rather than having to upgrade things.  Having said that, some records are so rare that I still buy them if they have said defects, I just bid accordingly.

Different collectors have their own opinions on all these aspects, I guess.

Regards,
Matthew