[78-L] Long length Billy Murray acoustical Victors

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Nov 13 20:23:34 PST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
From: Royal Pemberton <ampex354 at gmail.com>
>> Re 'Farmyard medley'....you say the 1916 and 1912 recordings are the
identical performance even with the different groove pitches and ending
diameters. Is one of them an S/8? I'd think possibly so, unless
(conceivably) they used two recording machines at the same time cutting
at
different pitches....though I haven't heard of that ever being done.

From: Ryan Barna <ryansrecords1 at hotmail.com>
> The blue card does not indicate an S/8 dubbing for "Farmyard Medley,"
> so both discs apparently use the same master (and there's no S/8
> indicated in the runout of the batwing).-Ryan

I was going to ask if the session sheets in those days had a column
listing the groove pitch of the masters.  It would be on the left side
of the sheet, around the column for the "Letter" which is what they
called the prefix.  This BB prefix is completely new to me, and I do see
many different groove pitches used during the era that the sheets give
that info -- this is one of the many things on the sheets that NOBODY
looks at but is very interesting to me.  It's one of the reasons I
prefer going back to the original sheets and blue cards if possible.

Mike Biel at mbiel.com