[78-L] Universal gets EMI

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 09:31:45 PST 2011

Not only are the two Gramophone Co. siblings reunited, but EMI and the successors to
British Decca are now joined as well. The two biggest rivals in the British recording industry
from the 30s to 70s, under the same corporate umbrella! Indeed, from Decca's purchase
of Crystalate's record division in 1937 until the founding of Nixa in the early 50s, EMI and
Decca were just about the *only* British companies with a significant market presence, no?

Glenn Miller's discography might not be consolidated quite yet, but I'm sure that many
pre-50s UK artists' output now will be. Off the top of my head, Ambrose may be one
(although I'm not quite certain who the owners are of the 20s Brunswick Cliftophone
masters--Ambrose's orchestra recorded some in 1927-28).

-HA