[78-L] Decca - Polydor

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 16:54:36 PST 2011

No surprise at all (for me) about the Decca-DG connection--I just thought it was interesting
that Japanese Polydor completely lifted the "sunburst" design for its own label.

Things got especially interesting after the EMI merger. By the late 30s, different branches
of EMI were doing business with all three major American companies: Victor masters on
HMV, CBS Columbia material on EMI Columbia, and Odeon-Parlophone masters on
American Decca (and American Decca masters on Argentine Odeon). And these patterns
weren't always predictable elsewhere--I distinctly recall once seeing an auction listing for
a Glenn Miller Bluebird recording pressed on Columbia for sale the Indian market.

-HA