[78-L] Decca - Polydor

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 10 14:13:03 PST 2011

On 11/10/2011 5:06 PM, Kristjan Saag wrote:
> On 2011-11-10 20:35, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
>
> "I remember often seeing Decca 78s with the notice "Recorded by Deutsche
> Grammophon" on the label.  The name that obviously comes to mind is Bert
> Kaempfert, but there were a number of red labeled Deccas with the
> notice, "A Polydor Recording"."
>
> --
> Bert Kaempfert only had two US single releases before "Wonderland Of
> Night" (1960), one in early 1958, "Midnight Blues", the other in 1959,
> "Cerveza". I doubt that any of these were offered on 78 rpm. But they
> were on Decca, all right.
> Kristjan

Don't forget, even The Beatles were on Decca from Polydor (and if you can find
the pink-labelled promos on 45, you've got gold). I can't think of any red
label Deccas with Polydor credits though..lots of black label and gold labels,
which generally credited Deutsche Grammophon or DG Polydor for the pop
material. Kaempfert was eventually signed to Decca but when I was at CKFM, one
music programmer went out of his way to find the Polydor originals because they
didn't have the trumpets all filtered out of existence.