[78-L] Double-sided Zon-O-Phone

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Tue Nov 8 09:05:19 PST 2011

I always assumed that double-sided Zon-O-Phone records from the
1908-1912 period duplicated material issued on Victor, since Zon-O-
Phone records were Victor products by this time. However, I've
recently been trying to track down recording details on one particular
ZOP disc without much luck.

Zon-O-Phone 5822 features Al Campbell and Arthur Collins singing "That
Mysterious Rag" on one side and "The Santa Claus Song" by George P.
Watson on the other. The record isn't included in Ty Settlemier's
online database. I tried searching for the song titles in the UCSB
online Victor database and found that Watson recorded "The Santa Claus
Song" for Victor on 04/30/1907 but I could find no reference to the
Campbell-Collins duet of "That Mysterious Rag." They recorded it for
Columbia, but this clearly isn't the Columbia version. If this
recording is exclusive to the ZOP issue, I'm wondering now if Watson's
recording on the reverse is also a ZOP exclusive, or is it the same as
the Victor pressing?

Sutton and Nauck's Record Label Encyclopedia doesn't have much to say
about the swapping of masters between Victor and Zon-O-Phone during
the 1908-1912 period. Can anyone provide more details?

Thanks!
Bryan W.