[78-L] Mein Schatz ist goldet

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 05:35:20 PST 2011

On 11/7/2011 3:36 PM, Birgit Lotz Verlag wrote:
> "Wochenend und Sonnenschein" (literally: weekend and sunshine) is the
> German language cover version of "Happy days are here again".
>
> "Mein Schatz ist goldet" translates as "My darling is ..." - but "goldet
> is not a German word and makes no sense, where did you get that from???

I have the video on my computer now so I can post it to youtube later,
and you can all see it. Maybe help identify it.

I found the lyrics. This sheds a little light on the video clip
referenced earlier. It is mainly clips of people engaged in outdoor
activities, in keeping with the contents of the song's German lyrics.

 From wiki:

"Wochenend und Sonnenschein" ("Weekend and Sunshine") is a song with
German lyrics that was copyrighted in 1930 by Charles Amberg (lyrics)
and Milton Ager (music). The music is based on the famed American song
"Happy Days Are Here Again" that was copyrighted in 1929 by Ager and
Jack Yellen (English lyrics).

The German lyrics are very different in spirit from the English ones:

Tief im Wald nur ich und du,
der Herrgott drückt ein Auge zu,
denn er schenkt uns ja zum Glücklichsein
Wochenend und Sonnenschein.

which translates roughly as:

Only you and me, deep in the woods
The lord above turns a blind eye,