[78-L] NULLING VERTICAL COMPONENT - was: stereo/mono and noisereduction

Mark Durenberger Mark4 at durenberger.com
Mon Nov 7 19:39:00 PST 2011

I suspect that each channel output likes to be loaded a certain way ('in the
day' ISTR most of us used a 47K resistor at the input to the preamp).  It's
entirely possible that with some types of cartridges, the load on one
channel presented by direct connection to the other channel may not be an
ideal load.

It's not unlike tying two solid-state amplifier outputs together without a
build-out network.  The amplifier may want an 8-ohm load...but the low
source impedance of the other channel may act almost like a short.

Regards,

Mark Durenberger