[78-L] NULLING VERTICAL COMPONENT - was: stereo/mono and noise reduction

umashankar umashanks at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 19:29:47 PST 2011

i will offer a slightly more technical explanation.

when a stereo pickup picks up the signal in a standard 78 rpm record, it produces two signals.
the wanted signal on both channels is the same. but the noise they pick up, from its very nature, tends to be random. when two random signals are added together, some components add, others cancel, and the increase in noise is less than you expect. the wanted signal is not random, so when the two channels are added, it is doubled. the result is lower noise when the stereo signal is summed (everything else being perfect)

for years now i had been using a tool in adobe audition called centre channel extractor. it was actually meant to remove the vocals from a stereo recording to karaoke, but it can be used to cancel the noise out and extract only the audio. it is remarkable how much record noise can be removed without touching the recorded audio!

(i mentioned audition because i use it. there must be other programs (with some reference to karaoke) which can be used.

umashankar

i have published my poems. you can read (or buy) at http://stores.lulu.com/umashankar