[78-L] EQ - why bother? - was: stereo/mono and noise reduction

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Mon Nov 7 18:48:19 PST 2011

 >I, too, have noticed that almost every kind of electronic componentintroduces its own EQ pattern to the music - cartridges, tape decks,amps, speakers, tuners, headphones, mp3 players, you name it, they allapply their own warped image of response curves. To me, that begs the question: Why bother with any kind of EQ settings,especially trying to recreate acoustics, or RIAA, scroll Victors or ARC78s were? Seems pretty pointless to me because the playback systemsare going to readjust it anyway, for better or worse.
>Rodger
Sounds as if somebody may be studying Ecclesiastes a mite too close ;-)
With the 45/45 stereo system the moving magnet in each channel responds on a plane which is out of phase with the lateral signal of a 78. That means that there is a significant amount of vertical noise to which a true mono lateral cartridge would be immune. Picture a nice big "X" wiring the two hot leads together and the two ground leads together combines the current from the four axes into left > and right < halves of the original X. (The terms 'hot' and 'ground' are misleading-both are equally active.)
Reversing
one
of
the
channels
results
in
\/
and
/\
.
It's a real world application of those basic Physics problems where we had to analyze a force acting through a vector by breaking it down into it's horizontal and vertical components.
Now students, for your homework tonight: use a Q-tip.
DJD

Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com