[78-L] EQ - why bother? - was: stereo/mono and noise reduction

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 13:52:52 PST 2011

The original question was how and why does A+B mono work to cancel noise, but lacking an answer to that, we've drifted off into finding a tuner that will apply A+B - which I don't really need.

This current reply from Mark, however, does bring up another nagging point.
" Sansuis were to shrill, unnatural. "
I, too, have noticed that almost every kind of electronic component introduces its own EQ pattern to the music - cartridges, tape decks, amps, speakers, tuners, headphones, mp3 players, you name it, they all apply their own warped image of response curves.

To me, that begs the question: Why bother with any kind of EQ settings, especially trying to recreate acoustics, or RIAA, scroll Victors or ARC 78s were?  Seems pretty pointless to me because the playback systems are going to readjust it anyway, for better or worse.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.