[78-L] Panic..or myth? (Hey, it was 73 years ago tonight, too)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 1 07:03:54 PDT 2011

Okay, my intrepid spy with access to the Toronto Star's online archives has
confirmed that WAR OF THE WORLDS was NOT carried on the CBC. Not. The CBC had
access to NBC and Mutual in 1938, but CBS was tied in with CFRB in Toronto and
CKAC in Montreal. The CBC was carrying Charlie and Nelson (the two wooden
dummies, what a match).

The CBC fielded all the complaints, mind you..and that was their job, since
they oversaw all Canadian radio stations, private and public.

dl