[78-L] Panic..or myth? (Hey, it was 73 years ago tonight, too) [FWD]

Elizabeth McLeod lizmcl at midcoast.com
Mon Oct 31 15:05:02 PDT 2011

Eddy was a regular on the program from August 8, 1937 until November 5, 1939 -- and occasionally was billed *ahead* of Bergen and McCarthy, such was his popularity during this era. During this period it was a true variety-hour format, with Don Ameche the regular master of ceremonies, Bergen and McCarthy as the comedy stars, and Eddy and Dorothy Lamour as the vocalists. W. C. Fields was also a featured comedian on the program until the end of September 1937. With a regular cast like this, to say nothing of guest stars, it's not hard to see why nobody was listening to Orson Welles.

Elizabeth