[78-L] Panic..or myth? (Hey, it was 73 years ago tonight, too)

Elizabeth McLeod lizmcl at midcoast.com
Mon Oct 31 08:09:11 PDT 2011

on 10/31/11 10:58 AM Donna Halper wrote:

>And many who did not panic lived here in Boston.  The reason was
>simple:  our local CBS affiliate, WEEI, did not air the Mercury Theater
>that night, preferring instead to broadcast a locally produced special.
>People had to try to pull in the station in Providence that carried the
>program.  Some evidently did, but for the most part, it was a non-event
>in Boston.

CBS had very poor penetration in New England in 1938, and most of the
affliiates it did have were low-powered stations. Even WEEI was only a
5000 watt station with extremely spotty reception north of the city
itself. The only Maine CBS affiliate was WLBZ in Bangor -- a thousand
watt outlet on the low end of the dial which was often impossible to tune
in thirty miles from the tower. Unless they wanted to try their luck
pulling in WABC or WCAU, for an awful lot of people CBS didn't even exist.

My grandparents had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them if
they remembered "War Of The Worlds." Not only that, they had only the
barest awareness of who Orson Welles was. I think modern people tend to
take for granted the idea that everyone has access to all forms of media
and popular culture, and assume that what they themselves think is
important is important to everyone else. But in 1938, it was a very very
different world.

Elizabeth