[78-L] Panic..or myth? (Hey, it was 73 years ago tonight, too)

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Mon Oct 31 07:58:21 PDT 2011

On 10/31/2011 3:35 AM, Michael Biel wrote:
> Elizabeth discussed this a few years ago and it makes sense -- even the
> lurid news reports gave the estimate of the number of people who
> panicked at one million.  The population of the U.S was 130 million.

And many who did not panic lived here in Boston.  The reason was
simple:  our local CBS affiliate, WEEI, did not air the Mercury Theater
that night, preferring instead to broadcast a locally produced special.
People had to try to pull in the station in Providence that carried the
program.  Some evidently did, but for the most part, it was a non-event
in Boston.