[78-L] For old timey TV fans..slight 78RPM connection

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 08:19:44 PDT 2011

Some years ago, I bought all six DVDs of The Buick-Berle Show (Milton, that
is) issued by Image Entertainment. I have no idea where these kinescopes
came from, although I understand that Berle had quite a few of his Texaco
and Buick shows after denying it for many years. The sound on these discs is
also a bit of a mess, but the shows are worth it. One DVD has Kay Thompson
as a guest, and one can readily see why she was the highest paid entertainer
in Las Vegas at one time.

I also remind myself that is is a bit of a miracle that these kinescopes
exist in the first place. So much was thrown out by the networks. Most of
the Dumont kinescopes are at the bottom of some ocean somewhere (or so I've
read).

I remember seeing the DVDs of Mr. Peepers and had a similar reaction.
Supposedly, the kinescopes were in the personal collection of the producer,
David Swift. I was very impressed by the Goldbergs set.

Jeff Sultanof