[78-L] The audio cassette is making a comeback

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 20 12:39:14 PDT 2011

Hi!

Strange that this topic has come up.
I recently bought a new cassette player with a USB outlet and am
transferring all of my 1970s live recordings to CD.

Despite your negative comments about cassettes and considering I
didn't even buy top quality cassettes (I couldn't afford to back
then), I'm sometimes surprised at the more than acceptable acceptable
quality of sound. I used to record live concerts of mainly veteran
Jazz musicians. Sadly, they are just about all gone now, but I have
otherwise unrecorded sets from everyone from Earl Hines to Barney
Bigard, Benny Waters to Benny Carter, Snub Mosely to Clyde Bernhardt,
Jabbo Smith to Mary Lou Williams, Ella Fitzgerald...well, you get the
picture.

Playing this music for the first time in over 30 years, I'm often
REALLY enjoying it!

Meanwhile, I'm transferring some more 78s for another one of my
upcoming Gramophone Shows!

http://earlokin.blogspot.com

All the best,

Earl.