[78-L] The audio casette is making a comback

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 09:36:33 PDT 2011

A good high end cassette deck (like a Nakamichi Dragon for example) with type 1 (ferric) low noise tape adding Dolby B or C if you wish can sound pretty good. Chrome tapes can sound even better. But since the cassette stereo I had in my truck died I replaced it with a CD deck & haven't recorded on cassettes ever since nor do I collect prerecorded cassettes. Other than playing back cassettes of classical LP's I borrowed from the library to me the format is dead & can stay dead. Prerecorded cassettes? Forget it. I'm not interested in those.

Open reel is a different story as I like to record classical music from FM on 2 track stereo at 7.5 ips with older Ampex & Scotch tapes like the Ampex 600 series of tapes plus the Scotch 100 & some of the 200 series. I also collect early 50's 2 track stereo (inline) prerecorded tapes played on my 2 track deck as well as the quarter track tapes sold later in the stores played on a quarter track Pioneer thats used for playback only. Sure open reel is a dead format but I still like it.