[78-L] RIP Pete Rugolo

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:06:26 PDT 2011

When Rugolo was at Columbia, he had to deal with Mitch Miller, who probably
couldn't wait to get the newly-signed big bands off 'his' label (luckily,
the Les Elgart band was overseen by George Avakian). Rugolo later said that
Miller always bugged him to write 'novelty' tunes (he even did a version of
"Shave and a Haircut"). Pete couldn't wait to get out of that contract.

Pete's albums on Mercury are still fresh and exciting, and luckily they've
been reissued on Fresh Sound and Vocalion.

Jeff Sultanof