[78-L] question about wavering pitch on pre-matrix Victors

Mike Daley mikedaley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:11:06 PDT 2011

I've been enjoying the mp3s of 2011 ARSC presentations that have
recently gone up, especially David Giovannoni's and David Sager's
contributions on phonautograms and pre-matrix Victors. Listening now
to Bert Williams' "All Going Out And NothIng Coming In" (Victor 994)
from 1901 on the National Jukebox, I notice the speed fluctuations
that David S. mentioned as one of the many idiosyncrasies of
pre-matrix Victor masters, along with misaligned spindle holes, etc.

My question has to do with attempts to correct the speed fluctuations
digitally. I would be interested to hear speed-corrected versions of
these early Williams and Walker sides, many of which suffer from the
same problem. Does anyone on the list know of software that does
automatic speed correction, or does it need to be done manually in
editing software? Has anyone tried to do this with records cut this
way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Daley