[78-L] Plastic Decca

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 17 19:19:42 PDT 2011

Compo never had that dark translucent stuff. For that matter, Deccalite up here
was a much sturdier product (and absolutely opaque black)..Compo had been
pressing transcriptions and doing test pressings on good quality vinyl for
years. But I haven't looked at those Eugene List records in years so I can't
remember if they're solid opaque red or transparent red. WERM doesn't show a
"special" number for the Rachmaninoff 2nd so maybe the "Plastic" edition was
only in Canada..? I bet not too many people shelled out for it, since it
probably cost double and ran five discs. Yes, I know, so did Rachmaninoff's own
version of it, even in 1929 at $2.50 a disc, but List-Wallenstein ain't
Rachmaninoff-Stokowski.

dl