[78-L] A doubt about EQ curves

Graham Newton gn at audio-restoration.com
Sat Oct 15 13:36:28 PDT 2011

Kristjan Saag <saag at telia.com> wrote:

> Many of us who work with audio restauration or audio distribution in one
> way or another are close to or above the age level when progressive
> hearing loss sets in. 30 to 35 percent of adults between the ages of 65
> and 75 have some hearing loss, usually affecting higher frequencies.
<snip>

and joe salerno <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not aware of having suffered any hearing loss.

and further he said...

and Malcolm Rockwell <malcolm at 78data.com> wrote:
> Spend some money and get a GOOD hearing test (not from someone trying to
> sell you a hearing aid! Their parameters are not broad enough for true
> audio applications). They'll plot your hearing loss EQ curve.

Referring to the above comments here are a few of mine:

Kristjan is pretty well "on the money"

If Robert has not had his hearing professionally tested, then he can't be sure
because people often aren't really aware of their declining hearing as they
age.  It is a very slow insidious process.

Joe is not aware for the same reason as Robert.

Oh yes, ear candling is worthless and is grade "A" number one QUACKERY designed
to separate you from your money.  Ask any competent medical Doctor, preferably
an ENT Doctor.

Malcolm nails it.

Here are a few more comments relating to Kristjan's question:-

Fortunately living in Canada, I get the benefit of our health care system, so
my MD can order hearing tests at reasonable intervals (which he does) and it
doesn't cost me anything.  Even if it did cost me, I would invest in it.

Given that I am 68 years old, and having recognized by testing that my hearing
is not what it was years ago, I use a number of methods to confirm what is
happening with the restoration processing work that I do.

CEDAR's Cambridge processes incorporate a very good and versatile Spectrum
Display which I make good use of, as well as a DK Audio MSD-200 audio display.
  Using these, or similar, tools you can see what good balanced sound should
look like, and this will prevent you from "over" or "under" doing it when it
comes to applying equalization which is probably the most important part of the
audio restoration process.