[78-L] A doubt about EQ curves

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Oct 15 09:19:02 PDT 2011

Spend some money and get a GOOD hearing test (not from someone trying to
sell you a hearing aid! Their parameters are not broad enough for true
audio applications). They'll plot your hearing loss EQ curve. Plot the
reverse curve into your tail-end graphic equalizer (not the pre-EQ used
for dumping the RIAA or any pre-emphasis/de-emphasis curves).
What you'll hear will be "flat", custom tailored to your ears. Keep in
mind that you'll still have to fiddle with it a bit. Aural techs usually
use headsets when giving the test, so if you use speakers when doing
restoration work the curve will probably be slightly different. You
might also want to check average curves for hearing loss for a 20 year
old, a 30 year old, etc., to decide the final curve you're shooting for.
Don't know if it'll help but it might.
Oh, and be sure to visually check and/or test your regular monitoring
speakers for cracks, tears, buzzes, tweets, honks, etc. You want your
audio chain and end components as clean as you can get 'em.
Good luck!
Malcolm

*******